Friday, July 4, 2008

2a: Santa Barbara

Contains a title using the format listed above.

2a: Santa Barbara

Contains the sources you used with links to these sources.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33045-s202/Santa-Barbara:California:Culture.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara%2C_California

Contains a brief paragraph how it connects to your study of humanities.

Santa Barbara connects to my study of humanities in many ways. First, there are major cultural influences on Santa Barbara, particularly Spanish history. After researching this fact, I learned that much of the creativity in Santa Barbara stems from Spanish ways. It is not so much thought of as Hispanic or Mexican, but rather thought of as Spanish. Second, many Ranchero traditions are still present in Santa Barbara, like rodeos, barbeques and trail rides on horses. Even though a lot of time has passed since Santa Barbara came about, the old cultural influences still remain.

4a: Observation

I chose to look into the culture in Santa Barbara, California. I chose this particular place because a very close friend of mine passed away about ten days ago and he lived in Santa Barbara. I drove down there when I heard about the accident and realized that I did not know nearly as much as I would have liked to about his life in Santa Barbara. When I think about Santa Barbara I think about beaches. I hear the ocean and the sound of people outside being active. Anytime I visited him there were always people out and about enjoying the beautiful weather. I see a lot of younger people when I think about Santa Barbara, since it is a popular college town. What stands out in my mind the most is my friend, who has passed on, trying to make a life for himself.

4b: Interpretation

My choice is about gaining a deeper understanding of the last five years of my dear friends life. This whole experience has made me realize that we do not have all the time in the world and we should live every day as if it is our last. I cannot go back in time and redo the last five years, so I would like to learn more about his final years. Also, I would like to think about anything other than the hospital there, since that was my last time visiting.

4c: Judgment

What led me to my choice was the realization that from here on out I want everything in my life to be meaningful and of some sort of significance. I wanted to pick a place that meant something to me, instead of just picking a place that I already knew a lot about. I feel that the reason I chose this is because I am having such a hard time focusing on anything that does not in some way relate to my friend.

4d: Questioning

I learned that UCSB, for fifty years, has been a major contributor to Santa Barbara culture. What I would like to know is a rough idea on the leading majors at UCSB. Although I found out that Santa Barbara attracts many artists and performers, my friend was far from both of these career paths.

5: One thing I learned from one student.

I learned that Lisa and I are both taking two online classes over summer and we are both feeling like it is harder to manage than we thought. I think time management has a lot to do with culture. Our society is very fast-paced and when we cannot keep up with it sometimes we feel we have failed. I know that lately I feel like a failure in school because I am just now starting and I am extremely behind.

http://crosbyfan.blogspot.com/2008/06/assignment-1a.html

No comments: