Friday, July 18, 2008

5b: Reflections

1. Lizabeth Magana, component a, "My California": Tobar, Steinbeck and Humes.

2. Magana's description of Tobar's essay regarding his experiences with highways and caltrans related to the assignments in projects 2-3 because they are what connects all the cities we have been learning about this semester.

3. Something I did not realize before reading Lizabeth's blog was that I did not even take into consideration the cultural experiences that take place on highways that connect us to all these cultural cities. Some of my favorite memories of trips I have been on took place on the highway on the way there. I think it is easy for people to get caught up on their destination and forget that the journey there is all part of the experience.

4. In regard to Freire's ideas on dialogue, I see his point of view now on the importance of learning from each other. While I had my thoughts on the cities I had specifically read about, I also have a new view on the parts of the city that have less attention paid to them like highways. Overall, it expanded the way I think about a place as a whole.

5. Projects 2-3 helped me with the readings of the text because it helped me learn how to appreciate a city's culture for both shared personal experiences and factual information I found in my research.

No comments: