Saturday, July 5, 2008

2b: Museum of Making Music

Contains a title using the format listed above.

2b: Museum of Making Music

Contains the sources you used with links to these sources.

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=53

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Making_Music

Contains a brief paragraph how it connects to your study of humanities.

Since the discovering of music, it has continued to be a popular way of human expression. No matter the instrument and whether or not there are words, music is an important form of sharing thoughts and feelings. Each culture has different ways of using music as a way of expressing themselves and that is how music is strongly connected to the study of humanities.

4a: Observation

I chose the Museum of Making Music. When I initially made this decision I was thinking about how important music is to me and how much it effects my life. It has the power to make me feel almost every emotion possible. Even if the emotion is a less-desirable one, I usually feel relieved after having listened to which ever instrument or type of song.

4b: Interpretation

My choice is about the history of musical instruments. The Museum of Making Music was founded in 1998. It explores the multifaceted history of the American music products industry from its beginnings in the 1890s to today. Housed at NAMM Headquarters in Carlsbad, California (north San Diego county), the Museum tells stories of hard work, challenge, inspiration and pioneering innovation, and reveals the profound relationship between the industry, popular music, and global culture. The Museum serves as a resource for the community of NAMM members through the preservation, interpretation and sharing of the industry’s collective history in a public museum context. In addition, it reveals the unique and often unknown story of the music products industry to the general public. And, through intimate concerts, films, discussions, hands-on workshops, volunteer opportunities and programs for underserved youth, the Museum opens doors to enable people of all ages and walks of life to find their way into the richly kaleidoscopic world of music making (http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=53, 2008).


4c: Judgment

As I stated in my 2a assignment, a very close friend of mine died almost two weeks ago. What I have found is that music is one of the only things helping me express and sort out my feelings. I have always known that music is important to me, but it was not until now that I realized how important it is as a way of expressing myself. What led me to my choice is the realization that music is a huge part of the culture I live in, as well as various other cultures. I feel glad that I chose to learn about the Museum of Making Music because I have never really studied music culture.

4d: Questioning

While I am already aware that there is such a thing as "music therapy," I would like to know more about it. Instead of one-on-one counseling with another person, or medication, many people choose to use music as their therapy. There are even music therapists. I would like to know exactly how it works and why certain types of music are used for certain types of situations.

5. One thing I learned from one student.

From Joseph Fitch, I learned that Paulo Freire received a law degree, but never ended up practicing law. I thought that was so amazing because most people spend their time in school working toward something they will actually use.
http://josephfitchsblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/hello-my-name-is-joey-and-i-am-taking.html

No comments: